duminică, 1 februarie 2009

Firefighter's Bobbing Head


Hm.
The U.S.A. - three letters that for most people represent wealth, freedom, and...er...help me on this one, please. Well, all in all, we like the U.S.A. and typically hold its supposed lack of rigidity quite opposite from, say, the U.K.'s world-famous protocol-love.

Right.

Funnily enough, just recently a man - a firefighter! - was suspended from a marching band for nodding [uh-huh], quite subtly, to the new pres, Barack Obama. Allegedly, the pres waved first, and Drum Major John Coleman said he was just acknowledging him. I mean, you can't risk being rude to the president of your country, even if you were told not to make any gestures.
After being suspended for six months, Major Coleman quit his job.

Okay, I get that we're talking about the president here. And I get there's a protocol to follow, but isn't it sad that something like this happens in a nation which promises not to be a subject to the rigidity imposed by royalty? It seems to me only absurd that a man got suspended for nodding to the very man who called himself a "mutt". The purpose of his suspension was...Ooh, I see, teaching all those nodders out there that such a gesture is so indecent that it must not be done in the presence of noble people. There's no suspension for winking to women on the street, no suspension for Bush's dropping bombs, no suspension for people who swear in traffic, and for so many sins the harm the world. But God forbid we nod publicly! God forbid we, the people reputed as the welcoming, unprejudiced race, put a toe out of line and show that we are as human as we claim to be!
Not to say "I told you so", but this great nation has once again proved its falsity. It's slightly boring, and it makes the world a slightly sillier [uglier] place.

And while I can't judge the Nod's implications on the world and the ceremony, I can smile, nod, wave, scream, shout, cheer and do all the ill-reputed things that ruin a perfectly cold, frozen and picture-perfect Technicolor moment. No one can suspend me, which makes my efforts worthless. But hey, someone needs to cheer for Mr Coleman, or else he's the jester to an empty crowd.
In my ears, though, the message rings on.

P.S.: "Smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave."
P.P.S.: Oh, and despite the efforts to mimic other rigorous displays of solemnity, I pretty much think Mr Obama suspects those little people blowing on the strange thingies are not tin soldiers from a fairy tale.
P.P.P.S.: I quit now. Good night.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu